Valley Times Collection - Click HERE for contemporary view. Several automobiles can be seen parked along the street, in front of the supermarket.Tarzana’s first Post Office opened on December 12, 1930 in an 8ft. rear room of Holmquist’s grocery, Tarzana’s Red and White Market, with Mrs. A small department store is visible adjacent to Mayfair Markets.
In 1952, state officials had originally identified Baldwin Hills as the site of a satellite campus for Los Angeles State College (now Cal State Los Angeles).
In reaction to the decision, Valley leaders organized to successfully overturn the legislation and to later ensure that a four-year college would be sited in the San Fernando Valley.
The City of Los Angeles eventually changed the name of remaining Sepulveda to North Hills also.
The city then formed a new sub-neighborhood of "North Hills West" which begins west of the 405 freeway and goes to Bull Creek/Balboa and from Roscoe to Devonshire.
Clockwise: Sierra Hall construction site, Science Buildings 1 and 2, Bookstore Complex, Music Building, Nordhoff Hall.
In 1966, the era began of campus student protests against the Vietnam War, continuing through the early 1970s.
In 1992, residents of the western half of Sepulveda, west of the San Diego Freeway, voted to secede from the eastern section in order to form a new community named North Hills.
Thereafter the value of properties east of the San Diego Freeway in Sepulveda fell.
On July 1, 1958, the founding date of the present university, the institution became San Fernando Valley State College, with about 3,300 students and 104 faculty.
On June 1, 1972, the college was renamed California State University, Northridge by action of the state Legislature and the Board of Trustees of the California State University.^ By September, 1958, enrollment reached 2,525 students and full-time in-state student fees were per semester.##^^ On June 12, 1959, ninety students received their degrees on the SFVSC football field.